Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Two New Recordings

I made a couple of recordings in the last couple of days! The first is my own version of "O Come O Come Emmanuel", one of my favorite Christmas songs. I even sing a verse in Latin with harmony in parallel fifths! That was meant as a nod to the song's origins in Gregorian chant, a genre I've always been fascinated by. The rest of the song is more contemporary in an attempt to create interest through juxtaposition. 


The second is a cover of "Such Great Heights" by the Postal Service, in the style of Iron & Wine. Yes, it's a cover of a cover. I didn't change much from the Iron and Wine version. I love the simplicity of this song- it's quite beautiful. I didn't rehearse this one a ton before recording it, because I think the song sounds best with a few authentic mistakes. I have one guitar string a little out of tune and a couple vocal issues that I left in because I liked this song in it's unadultered, imperfect state. I think it compliments the meaning perfectly. Perfectly imperfect, I suppose.



No comments:

Post a Comment