Thursday, April 14, 2011

Don't forget about the little fish

I realized recently that I speak and think in metaphors with surprising frequency. I wonder if other people do too. Do you?

Anyway, the metaphor we're on today is big fish and little fish. Big fish in this case means a professor or professional or someone who is generally important. Someone with influence. Someone who people know, even though they've never actually met them. Small-scale celebrities. Little fish are none of those things. Nobody really knows about them. They get forgotten sometimes, or hidden in the crowd. They may be really neat people, but haven't done anything yet that society values, and so are unknown. Little fish have potential to become big fish, someday.

As a proud little fish, I'd like to share something with any big fish that might come across this blog, as well as other little fish who will be big fish one day.

Never underestimate the power you hold over a little fish.

Okay, enough with the fish.

I've had two experiences this week in which someone I consider to be a big, important, local celebrity took the time to show concern specifically for me. In both cases, these people I admire and respect went out of their way to help and support me, and it meant so much. I consider myself a confident person, and I think that I'm special, just like everyone else. I have something the offer that no one else does, and when someone I look up to takes the time to single me out and offer me encouragement, it validates me. The unsolicited positive reinforcement of someone you admire is something you remember for years.

The other part of this phenomenon is that it's not what either of these people said to me that made the difference. Words don't mean much, most of the time. It's what they did. One of these people spent 25 minutes talking with me when all I was expecting when I asked for advice was a 3 minute exchange. Of course I benefited from the advice I received, but the part of the story I love to remember is the time this person dedicated to helping me. It made me feel so special.

Big fish: remember that the opposite is also true. You hold tremendous power to build up the little fish, and equally tremendous power to tear them apart. Watch what you say, and for goodness sake, never tell a little fish they can't reach their goals! Remember that it takes four positive experiences to outweigh a negative one. Do a little fish a favor and let them put a positive in the bank.

Here's today's song. It's a new goodbye song I learned. I think it's especially cute... and catchy too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XrL_F6tnT4

No comments:

Post a Comment